Sunday, September 19, 2010

No More 'Poking', Please!


I am currently in an everlasting poking war with a friend on facebook and I think it is the dumbest thing that I have ever been apart of in my entire life.  What is poking anyways? What on earth is the point of it? And if I think its so damn stupid, why am I continuing to partake in it? Facebook has many positive aspects to it, but some very stupid ones as well.  I would say I go onto facebook at least once a day, which is on the lighter side than many of my peers, and I honestly feel like I am wasting my life away. 
We spend so much time on the internet and different networking sites, but is there really anything good that comes from it? So many people spend time on facebook rather than listening to their teachers during class, or instead of going outside and getting some fresh air. For such an advanced world we live in, I feel as though we are extremely lazy and becoming more stupid and a huge part of that can be thanked to networking sites such as facebook. Today I am officially stopping my poking war and from now on I am choosing to no longer be just another facebook addict.

5 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. I currently have a facebook tab on my computer right now. Facebook is weirdly a large part of people's lives. Its how we communicate, how we learn things about people, and how we learn about upcoming events and causes. I think that facebook has pros and cons. It definitely makes talking to friends and looking at pictures of your friends and family easier, but it also is a huge distraction that can make studying less effective. People also have to be careful about who they give access to on facebook because information on someone's page can give bad people too much information, and it can easily be misinterpreted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely, I often find my self checking my facebook more than I should and forget my homework all together more and more often. I can't seem that shake that facebook has become a huge part of our lives and maybe that's why Marck Zuckenberg is one of the richest people in the world. I recall once when I was at the Meadow's School of Arts, facebook went off line for about an hour and everyone around me was losing it. Generally, I myself as an apathetic person couldn't have cared less, then I began to think of all the people that I am connected to and how I wouldn't have any other way to contact them. I soon found myself to be one of the people desperately checking my iphone every five minutes to see if facebook was working again, celebrating with the people around me when it finally did. I heard of things called the west coast diet, the low carb diet, even a banana diet, but has there ever been a no facebook diet? Maybe we all should start that, get outside a little and enjoy the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you. I think Facebook is a huge time sucker in everyone's lives. Like Lucy said, it is a way for people to communicate so you feel like you have to check it frequently or you will be out of the loop. It is an easy way to tell everyone where you are and post pictures of big events. I think Facebook is a good way to keep in touch with your close friends and family, but it is also creepy when everyone of your friends knows what you are doing because of your post. It is almost like having total access into someones life. Facebook should be used to a minimum and for communication purposes only. Be careful what you put on Facebook because you never know who will be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever happened to privacy? That last comment made me feel sorry for those who Facebook so much they don't have a private life, a little mystery, and some private thoughts, too. Why does every little thought or deed have to be on Facebook or Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sk11792 - the last point you made is very important, however, I dont think people really take it seriously. Anything that anybody puts on facebook, or any other internet site or just sending something via technology for that matter, can be reached by anybody, at any time. And for many people that didnt know this (or just didnt care), it has gotten them in a lot of trouble.

    CEC - That's a question that comes to my mind frequently. I do not understand, nor do I ever think I will, those people that post every thing they are doing each moment on twitter, or make every thought they have their facebook status. I personally enjoy to have some privacy, and it makes me feel very uneasy if I know that people have full access to my life. Also, why are people so interested in everybody else's lives? When did it become acceptable to "facebook stalk" people in order to know everything about them?

    ReplyDelete